Friday, September 25, 2020

1984 Husqvarna CR250cc

 


In this post, we will be talking about the 1984 Husqvarna CR250. I suppose we all do silly things from time to time and this was one of the silly things for me. As for the bike, it was a great bike, it really was, it did everything well. It was comfortable, turned well, great suspension, and the power delivery was on pace for the competition. I wouldn't say it had advantages over the competition, but it was equal to the task and you could win on it. It was all this and yet lacked many of the new innovations the Japanese bikes were using. The 1984 Husky still retained the old duel shock design mounted to an all-steel swing arm, as well as the old shoe brake system where most all had already gone to disk. However, these were proven designs and Husky made them work very well. The little engine had been upgraded to a water-cooled version and as mentioned before was capable of running with the competition. Add to that it carried quite an impressive look with its all-white plastics with blue and gold graphics. 

The mystery is why I ever purchased one? From the very beginning in racing I had ridden the big bikes, why I decided to drop down to the smaller 250s is difficult to say. I think it was a combination of things that swayed my opinion. As mentioned before, I had been entertaining the idea of moving into the expert or A class, I was struggling to get the confidence to make the trip. I had become convinced the better faster riders were in the 250cc class, which I think was a misconception on my part. Nevertheless, I thought it would be a good step to make before making a move to the A-class. Coupled with that, I had a dear friend, (two as a matter of fact) each of whom had a Husky dealership, I found myself buying one from each of them before that experience was over. An experience that had me moving to the 250cc class and on a Husqvarna at that.

I discovered the riders in the 250cc class were not better faster riders, it was just everything happened faster with more intensity than it did with the big bikes. I never enjoyed the 250's like I did the 500's. It would be a mistake I would regret even to this day, for riding was never the same after leaving the big bikes. It was a struggle adjusting to the smaller bikes, finding what fit, learning how to ride one, it was all so different. Instead of moving me forward, it was a step back that would take years to recover from. Years I didn't have, I would eventually make my way back to Suzuki, but I would never make it back to the big bikes or the fun I had with them.

Two races stand out in my memory with this bike, one a race in Ripley TN, at Alsbad motocross. The friend with the dealership I bought the bike from was with me that day. He and I were both on our 250cc Husky's and another guy whom we did not know was also there on a Husqvarna. It turned out to be a Husky sweep, I won 1st place, my friend finished 2nd and the other fellow finished 3rd. We were all proud Husky riders that day, Husky all the way! The other was a race in Lebanon TN. It was a 60-mile winter hare scramble, I had a flat tire on the rear and finished probably the last 20 miles of the race with a flat. I totally destroyed a good rear tire ripping it apart at the wheel locks by the end of the race. Memories are made, some because it's a Husky sweep, others because it all went bad. I think some call that life, it comes both ways. I am thankful it comes with such a mixture, if it were all bad we could not cope, and if it were all good we could never grow beyond ourselves.

Sometimes it's hard to reconcile our bad decisions with the Sovereignty of God. If He is really in control of our lives, how can we make so many seemingly bad choices? I have heard in Christian circles many times the phrase, “I sure missed God making that decision”. The idea is God had something better, more pleasant, and profitable, but I missed his purpose. I must say I do not find such ideas in the scripture. I find a God there that is in control of our lives with absolute Sovereignty, Sovereign over our good decisions as well as our bad ones.

Judas being an extreme example, in his choosing to betray Jesus, after walking with him for years listening to His teachings. Yet we read, “Act 1:16 "Brothers and sisters, in the Scriptures the Holy Spirit said through David that something must happen. He was talking about Judas, one of our own group. Judas served together with us. The Spirit said that Judas would lead men to arrest Jesus." (ERV)

That was the supreme bad decision, yet it was no surprise to God, it fell within the reign of His Sovereign will and purpose. So it is with our lives, all is known to a Sovereign God, it all falls within the realm of His plans and purpose, yet in no way relieves us of our responsibility and accountability for those decisions. Judas had every opportunity to be faithful, or repent as the other disciples did. Yet, of his own will chose to go the other way and by doing so fulfilled the purpose of God. I assure you, God is too big to miss. If you have made a bad decision or a sourer choice, repent where necessary and then learn what you can from that experience. From that bad experience, your life can be richer and you can be wiser. You can serve God more fully and enjoy His Grace in a most wonderful way.

God bless,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment