Thursday, June 23, 2022

"Feet, shod with the preparation of the Gospel of Peace..."

Recently, while attending a beautiful memorial graveside service for a dear Christian lady, a strange experience occurred that could be worth a good chuckle if shared appropriately. Upon my arrival at the cemetery, there was a piece of real estate to be covered on foot from where my vehicle was parked.  Now, mind you, by all means, my feet were prepared with an ideal pair of flat, leather shoes appropriate for the task. This particular pair had never been worn.  Or, at least, this was the impression given of them. After trekking about the yardage of a football field or so, the rest was simply standing in place for the ceremony.  All good, right?

Not so! 

The service began and in my observances of the family and friends of the deceased, noticed many well-dressed young folk before me carrying out the proceedings.  One such sweetheart was very beautiful with a pair of high heels that would barter for a brand new refrigerator.  However, with every step into the cemetery, this dear would aerate the ground beneath her!  One must have a good set of skills to wield such walking techniques!  Never did I see her even with an inclination of a struggle to get around.  Midst my musings, and humorous thoughts on this, I began to feel strange on the bottom of my left foot.  Looking down trying to determine the warm, rough feeling at the sole of my foot, I spotted some shoe sole sticking out at the side of my shoe!  Whuttt???  Upon raising my left foot and looking underneath my shoe, it dawned upon me that about half of my shoe sole was somewhere between the vehicle and where I now stood!  Thanks, Goodwill!


Do we get what we pay for?  Maybe.  Sometimes.  Things aren't always as they seem for sure. This was enough to put me to shame for my tendency to think vanity of a pricey pair of pumps on a well-dressed young lady!  

All fun aside, good shoes are very important.  After all, if the foundation is "crumbly," things can't go well for the upper stories, right? As soon as we could get in the door at home, the shoes came off, and into to trash can they went. Now it's a talking point! 

As Christians, we've been instructed to suit up with the "whole armor of God." A very important part of this is shoes for the feet that have the readiness on them coming from the gospel of peace.  We couldn't possibly stand in a battle situation without the appropriate foundation beneath us.  What good is a shield, a helmet, or a girdle for our loins, if we can't stand?  The Gospel is the strength of our stand. What is this Gospel of Peace?  I Cor. 15:3,4 gives us a compact definition of this Gospel.  "...that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,...."

One who isn't familiar with this peace or how to find it must become aware of His need for it.  This comes by hearing the gospel preached and realizing the need for a Redeemer to pardon one's sinfulness.  Rom. 10:9,10 gives us a promise for the one who seeks to know the pardon of the Lord.  "..because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved."

What's on your feet today?  In the long run, does it really matter if your flats are cheap and your heels are pricey?  Maybe not.  But the spiritual feet are another story not so comical.  May we be sure to have the foundation of the Gospel of Peace in our lives. 

Ephesians 6:10-19 "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.  Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.  Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.  In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication.  To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak."

Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sovereignty of God in Salvation (Part 3)

  1 Timothy 2:3-4 ESV (3)  This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, (4)  who desires all people to be saved and to c...