Friday, July 31, 2020

1975 Ossa 350cc Super Pioneer

If I could go back and get only one bike that I owned over the years, it would be the Ossa. Simply because it was so much fun to ride. It had a great feel, you would sit on top of it, much like the new motocross bikes today. I don't like a bike that saddles you in, I like to sit up on top of it. This was the most comfortable bike I ever rode, the suspension was awesome for the time. The frame was strong and the tank, fenders, and side panels were all fiberglass. Add to that aluminum rims, shifter, brake peddles, and levers, with a low center of gravity it felt very light. The white fiberglass and orange trim made it the sharpest bike I ever owned.
The Ossa engine was a tractor, power delivery was like truckloads of torque from bottom to mid-range. The top part of the RPM range was a flat as a 50's hair cut, however, because of the torque you could shift early and quick and go surprisingly fast on this bike. This power delivery made it easy to ride and very controllable. My memories on this bike are all good ones. It was the first bike I ever raced in competition. I rode it in my first and only enduro, which is a timekeeping type of racing where you try and complete sections of what usually is a 100-mile course in a specific amount of time. If you are early you get points deducted, if you are late you get points deducted, the target is to Zero the checkpoint.
I had wanted to race since that first disappointing evening that occurred with the Honda CR125cc Elsinore years earlier, so I hacked out a trail on our property and organized my own race. I was at a great advantage having designed the track myself which resulted in my winning one of my own trophies that day, hey, at least I had raced and now had a trophy, I think I still have it in the attic. This is the Ossa pictured, I am to the far right holding that infamous trophy. David Eason is next to the left, then Dennis Galbraith, and to the far left is Randy Dickson. David and Dennis are on Hercules 175cc's and Randy is on a CanAm 125cc.
A few years later Bath Springs Motocross would begin, as they had their opening race, this would be the bike I would take. I didn't have a motocross bike at the time so I took the Ossa. It was truly a wonderful bike. It did have one huge flaw, the clutch design used a worm gear to push the clutch plates apart. The gear device was located in front of the engine sprocket. Dirt and mud would get compressed into the worm gear and the already hard to pull clutch action would become almost impossible to pull in. You would just take both hands and pull it in, shift in first, after that you just shifted without the clutch.
If I were to relate anything about the Christian life to this bike, I suppose it would be the flaw. No matter how well we may attain in our walk in the Christian life, we are all flawed. I have come to realize when the worm gear is getting full of dirt and making life difficult, it takes work to keep it clean and working smoothly. The Christian life is not easy, it takes work to walk it. Sin clings to us like mud and can cause us to lose our race if we neglect so great a Salvation.

In working out that Salvation, we may contrive in our minds a great design we think will bring us to the winner's circle. However, flawed as we are, we can never make the mark. We are never able to bring any works to God that are good enough to bring us any merit whatsoever. In other words, we are never able to bring God into dept to us, meaning he owes us anything for the work we bring. The great news of the Gospel is that we come to Him empty-handed and trust only in His Mercy and work of Grace on our behalf through Christ offering on the Cross. I rode motorcycles and worked hard to improve my performance out of sheer love of riding. Our good works in this life must be of the same, done out of sheer love of Christ and the joy of serving Him.
(Wherefore, let us also, seeing we are compassed with so great a cloud of witnesses, cast away everything that presseth down, and the sin that hangeth so fast on: let us run with patience the race that is set before us.) Hebrews 12:1 (1599 GV) The worm gear will not clean itself, it takes Grace, Prayer, and a longing to walk with Him to keep it clean.
Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
Php 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

May God bless each of you,

David

2 comments:

  1. Back in 1958, I was 15 years old, I had a 1940 Harley flat head model 80. They were larger than the
    74 models. Gear shift was mounted on the left side of the tank. Clutch pedal on the left and
    brake pedal on the right. Gas feed was on the right handle bar as they are today, but the most
    important thing was the engine timing located on the left handle bar. If this wasn't set
    correctly, when you kick started it, the engine could start in reverse. Lost two toes, when a
    truck hit me while I was crossing a street, delivering milk on my milk route.

    There's a little more to the story involving the timing adjustment.
    I had to carry the motorcycle to Smitty's Body Shop in Parsons because my kick start lever had broken into.
    After they repaired it, one of the workers decided he wanted to start it and make a trial run on it.
    He wasn't aware of the engine timing setting on the left handlebar.
    He started it up and gave it quite a bit of gas, when he released the clutch, it went backwards and
    threw him through the plastic windshield. He wasn't hurt bad and I drove it without a windshield
    from then on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me of a story my Dad use to tell me about his Harley. Around 1950 he had an old Harley that sometimes the rear brake peddle would bounce up and over behind his foot. One day upon riding home he was going to slide across the lawn in front of the house. He reached for the brake and behold it had bounce over and he had no peddle. He through the bike down in the gravel road which had a T at the end of it that cornered his house. He remember sliding off the Road at the T and hitting his tail bone on the culvert in ditch.

      Delete

Sovereignty of God in Salvation (Part 1)

  How we approach certain scripture in our understanding is called doctrine. Doctrines usually are not directly stated in scripture but deve...